Subject: Re: Bordervisit: Northwest Angle, Minnesota, USA - The Report
Date: Jan 30, 2007 @ 15:54
Author: dhkendall ("dhkendall" <david@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Doug Murray/Border Films
<doug@...> wrote:
> On Monday I was finally able to visit the Northwest Angle of
Minnesota.
[...]
> I took the following route:
>
> I started in Winnipeg, the capital of the Province of Manitoba. I
drove
> east along the Trans-Canada Highway (Highway 1) towards Ontario.
About
> 100 km later at East Braintree (little more than a couple of
houses), I
> turned south on Manitoba Provincial Highway 308.
>
> I followed 308 south-east for about 60 km. It is a gravel road
but in
> excellent condition. I saw only three cars the whole way. I made
> right turn on Highway 525 and headed east towards the border.
>
> 10 km later I arrived at the official crossing. Here, Highway 525
turns
> into Minnesota Highway 49.

(Apologies, btw, to the group, who first read this about 2 or 3
months ago but, as a new member, I'm catching up on old posts)

Being a Winnipegger and a one-time Angle-visitor (back in July/03),
I can authoritatvely comment on your journey. I took a very similar
route myself (only we were coming east from a short trip in Kenora,
Ont., a popular summer vacation spot for Winnipeggers), the route
from E. Braintree on was identical. (BTW, my wife and I happen to
know at least 3 people from E. Braintree, all went to school
together, so I was as surprised as you are to see how small the town
really is). I'd have to say to you (and anyone else planning the
road) took the "hard way". When we came back from the Angle, on my
wife's suggestion (who doesn't like travelling gravel roads) instead
of turning north on 308 once 525 met it and went back to Braintree
and the way we came, we turned south towards Sprague. This means
only 18.4 kilometres (11.4 miles) of gravel road from the border to
the paved road in MB, instead of 67.6 km (42 mi) worth from E.
Braintree to the border.

So, suggested route from Winnipeg: Hwy 1 east to Hwy 12 to 308 to
525 to the Angle. (From the US, probably make your way to Warroad,
MN and take MN-313 to MB-12 to 308 to 525)