Subject: Re: Border cross from ski of slope Kanin(SLO), to ski slope of Sella Nevea (IT)
Date: Dec 27, 2006 @ 09:37
Author: Anton Zeilinger ("Anton Zeilinger" <anton_zeilinger@...>)

Hello,

to answer your various questions (no guarantee for accuracy and legal
correctness, of course):

> Hello!
> Slovenia is not a member of schengen.

Not yet, but maybe soon? It WILL join the Euro zone in 5 days, though...

> Can I cross the border from the ski slope of Kanin, through the
> Prevala valley, to Sella Nevea?

Well, if it is technically feasible and it is an officially marked ski
slope/route I would say that it should be possible.

Be aware, however, that many European states expressly prohibit
crossing borders anywhere but via official border crossing point. My
home country, Austria, designates such a list of official crossing
points (roads, railway, walking routes, ski slopes etc.) by federal
regulation - strictly speaking, it is illegal to cross anywhere else
(even into Germany, for instance), but in relation to Schengen
countries this is rarely, if ever, imposed.

> Or it can be done only by italian and slovenian citizens? I am a
> hungarian citizen.

I would say that if you have proper documents to enter Italy, it
should also be possible for you. You might have to register with a
customs/border police post.

> If i can pass through the valley, till what time can i do during the
day?

No idea.

> Do I need any ID card or passport for the trip?

YES! Definitely, whenever you cross a border you need proper ID
(preferrably passport). Even when travelling among Schengen countries
you need an ID...

> I need infos about border cross on this ski slopes, legal or illegal?

See above. Cautiously: Legal.

But just ask at the local tourist office, they MAY know.

Cheerio,
Anton