Subject: Re: Guess the location of this photo
Date: Nov 06, 2006 @ 20:16
Author: clynnog2002 ("clynnog2002" <clynnog@...>)

Bill is correct as the picture was taken of Fort Covington, NY. I
never realized the level of pedantry that goes in through this Yahoo
Group. What I am referring to is the replies about broken links and
cobbled together URL's. All I intended when I posted the picture
was to get some lively conversation going about where the picture
could be taken. I did not expect people to zoom out and discover
where the photo was actually taken in that manner. You guys need
to lighten up and bring this Yahoo group back to discussing boundary
issues.

In case anybody is remotely interested I did visit Fort Covington,
NY and was amazed at the road on the west side of the river which
appears on this photo to have little in the way of border crossing.
On the east side of the river is the now closed, but infamous bar
that straddled the US/CA border. The town itself is somewhat
indescript in that hard scrabble North Country vernacular as it lies
midway along the poverty stricken Massena/Rouses Point corridor.

To the west, is another interesting place on the border, St Regis,
QC, which can only be accessed via road, through the US. There are
no border formalities (at least in 2004 when I was there), and I
entered and left the community with no Canadian border officials
stopping me.

There is more to border issues than obscure tri-points between two
states and a province.

Fort Covington, NY area (CAUS)?