Subject: chdefr before 1871
Date: Nov 06, 2006 @ 01:08
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

oops pardon my dumb mistake
for romain actually said
> > I hope to find the other former tripoint of
> > Alsace-Lorraine/Elsass-Lothringen, in north, limit
> > with Luxemburg, between the towns of Russange (57,
> > [ex-D]) ; RĂ©dange (54, F) and Belvaux (L).
> > Romain
which of course means he was talking about a former
defrlu position
rather than the former chdefr position i imagined he
was seeking when i responded with this
> so i am marvelling that you too have already begun
> answering the question
> where indeed was the previous chdefr
> going backwards in time from 1871
>
> & where & when the very first chdefr

oops

but in any case
just to tie down this loose end i pulled & raised
to the extent that i can do so now
the following slow loading historical maps suggest
chdefr at basel dates perhaps from the dissolution of
the holy roman empire & the establishment of the
confederation of the rhine in 1806
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wggerman/map/germanyitaly1803.htm
or else from the establishment of the german
confederation in 1815
http://www.zum.de/whkmla/histatlas/germany/ger1815.gif
whichever you believe marks the true beginning of the
true germany

but the tripoint position at basel
by whatever name it is called
appears to date from the peace of basel in 1795
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ce/Peace_of_Basel.png
if not even a few years earlier
http://www.rootsweb.com/~deubadnw/history/maps/d1789.jpg
http://us.share.geocities.com/vrozn/1789.jpg

reaching back as far as 1780 the position is no longer
even identifiable
http://www.zum.de/whkmla/histatlas/germany/empire1780.gif

but yikes here it is or seems to be again as early as
the 16th century
http://us.share.geocities.com/vrozn/Circles.jpg
tho what it may really be during that period is an
entirely different question

for there does not appear to be any continuity of the
position between the 16th & 18th centuries

tough questions tho

(http://voice.yahoo.com)