Subject: re byruua
Date: Jun 13, 2006 @ 03:20
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

& if you allow for the fact that the russian road must
have been modernized & straightened fairly recently
& also for the fact that this sloppily registered
hybrid satpic indicates the tripoint about 1200 meters
too far to the southeast
whooops
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.176059,59.853516&q=belarus+russia+ukraine&ie=UTF8&ll=52.110511,31.782589&spn=0.025882,0.058451&t=h&om=1
which i would guess must be fairly typical of google
maps
then you can already
s e e
the kurgan druzhby plaza there as the small dark
triangle within the larger white triangle where these
3 roads meet
& can at least visualize how the roadways & traffic
must somehow skirt & circulate around the monument
hill

but of course we are still no closer to seeing the
tripoint itself
presumably in or near the middle of the dark triangle
in the satpic

it now looks like the flickr pix could each be a good
500 meters or so from the true tripoint

& it may be worth noting that normal people could be
just as oblivious of tripoint monuments as many
devoted trypointers are oblivious of exactly where
upon or among the tripoint monuments to look for the
actual tripoints

it is only natural to forget in all the excitement

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, aletheia kallos
<aletheiak@...> wrote:

> well they are undoubtedly authentic pix of the
greater

http://www.admin.debryansk.ru/~press/geogr1/3res1.jpg

http://www.admin.debryansk.ru/~press/PHOTOS/brata.jpg

http://www.ravnenie-na-pobedu.ru/regions/32/region/friendshipb.jpg
> which i believe must stand & indeed dominate the
scene

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu:8085/x-ussr/100k/N-36-136.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/captain-k/22574738/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/captain-k/22574739/in/photostream/