Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] State GIS links
Date: May 28, 2006 @ 00:09
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

well the blog was of interest here on cream hill at
least doc
as i am rather fond of the animaniacs

& was glad to sample the cadastral sources too

just to see of what actual use they might be in a
multipointing try

using as test case my ongoing & recently reported
quest for amkesh
& cokesh too
& in fact any kesh at all

kesh being the apparently somewhat fugitive kent &
sharon town line in connecticut
including its tripoints with cornwall & amenia
respectively

& i found i was at least able to use your portal to
learn what & whose property i had been trespassing
across during my earlier tries

even saw a pic of the gated driveway i slipped past

& such info is at least fun to know

as well as conceivably generally useful for anyone who
wanted to preview or ask permission before
or in lieu of
trespassing
etc

but i was a little surprised not to find any plats or
marker references or other hard data to directly
assist the tries
at least not in my areas of interest & sampling

perhaps all these will be coming along in due time tho

making things almost too easy for trypointing

but fortunately i am still quite stumped about the
true location of kesh & its tripoints

i did btw quietly make the previously promised try for
cokesh last week
without bothering to report it here
simply because it was so uneventful

it was based on the locations of an island in the
housatonic & especially of a structure indicated very
near the tripoint on the topo
http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4627500&e=632087&s=25&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
that i mistook for either an appalachian trail shelter
or an old tool manufactory

couldnt miss it
i fancied & told myself
but in the event never found the structure nor any
foundation or other trace of this
& so couldnt pin the tripoint location to any less
than about a 200 foot reach of the river
along which the veggies were too dense to catch sight
of the hoped for witness rock & amkesh twin

thus making this cokesh try just about as diffident an
identification as i had made at amkesh with the help
of an actual border marker in that case
albeit recovered about 200 feet away from its expected
location

didnt bring a camera
so these neighborhood shots will have to do
http://g3.tmsc.org/face_of_ct/ph17.htm

didnt bring a paintbrush either
http://www.artnet.com/artwork/149126/robert-hogg-nisbet-on-the-housatonic-kent-ct.html

subsequent examination of all 4 or 5 road crossings
revealed no markers but just the usual incidental
signs & traces of jurisdictional change
like the end of a storm drain
or a speed limit sign
etc
but not even any survey tapes to suggest the line
itself

& other than that
all of kesh except possibly amkesh is still missing in
action

maybe i need to go to the town halls next to actually
see the plats

but tax assessors can be among the most unhumorable
people

& what would i say

hi
i am a multipointing nut