Subject: Re: out looking for us2ctny3duli4amkesh
Date: May 15, 2006 @ 02:15
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

in a nutshell
the prize was elusive & i am still recuperating a day
later

but the full report & retry plan may be of some
interest
so i will proceed with that or them below also

the only thing is
having multiplied myself in earnest by at least 2006
as you may already know
i find i am enjoying simultaneous enthusiasms at the
moment for several other things as well
so i will give only a foreshortened complete report
for now

but will of course add more detail if it is indeed of
any interest to anyone but me

tho my approach to the jumpoff point less than a dozen
miles from home was complicated by getting lost on
back roads en route to it
as well as by my decision to make the try without any
navigation aids
i did finally reach & recognize the preselected
parking place
where clark hill road crosses the state line
as shown on the topo that may still be linked to the
original post here near the bottom

the large clearing depicted was in reality fenced &
posted but deserted

& the underground gas pipeline was indicated & signed
with additional warnings

i parked on the road just east of the standard 1909
ctny roadstone that i was not at all surprised to find
there protruding about 4 feet above the ground as is
typical

the driveway that is depicted heading southeast from
clark hill road alongside the pipeline was gated &
locked

but thru an unexpected break in the barbed wire &
bushes
i managed to pick my way into the broad clearing
which i took to be or to include the pipeline clearcut
& which led me easily southward just inside
connecticut toward where the topo shows the clearcut
narrowing & starting its descent & zigzag course
across the state line

but in fact the clearing doesnt narrow there into
anything remotely like the deforested cut depicted on
the topo

for the topo is flat wrong about that
as a later peek i got at the google satpic also
confirmed
http://maps.google.com/?ll=41.799343,-73.498278&spn=0.031417,0.058537&t=h&om=1

but instead of leading to any such narrow clearcut
the cleared area simply ends at about that point &
feeds there into a woodland trail that does however
pretty much follow the depicted pipeline route

& tho it zigzags a good deal more than the pipeline
depiction does
i could follow it without difficulty across both of
the brooks shown
exactly as i had expected to be able to follow the
clearcut across them
& so wasnt much put off by the discrepancy all along
the way
for the better part of a mile

that is
not until i reached & began beating the bushes thruout
what i took to be the correct target area

for there i found no boundary mark or sign or trace of
any kind

at first i supposed i just may have lost my bearings &
my way

for i know this can so easily happen on such an
overcast day as it was

but a subsequent study of the topo has convinced me
all the topography was exactly as i had expected &
indeed correctly found it to be

so my puzzlement at not finding a marker where
expected
even if diminished by the crudity & dubiousness of my
technique
was & remains great

in fairly open woods with visibility of 100 or perhaps
even 200 feet
i am fairly confident there was at least no standard
chest high footsquare concrete 1909 marker anywhere in
sight
tho it is true i could have missed a lower & less
massive 1860 model

indeed that is what i am hoping was in fact the case
& so am preparing to revisit at the next opportunity
with topo & gps in hand

but in the meantime i should probably also add before
signing off for a while on this entire topic & try
that i was also diligent enough while still en route
there to drive past & check out the only other known
location on ctny where the usgs indicates a numbered
marker
http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4635761&e=624341&s=25&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
& found it similarly elusive at nearly as close range
in an open meadow

this suggests further that both of these numbered
markers are at least not of the highly visible 1909
persuasion
& to that extent they are the more likely to actually
be 1860 jobbies

so this position has been similarly earmarked for
closer scrutiny
as soon as i can return there too

both of these are highly intriguing findings
or the opposite thereof
to say the least

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, aletheia kallos
<aletheiak@...> wrote:

> seeing the first bright skies in days here on cream
> hill in west cornwall
> i am inspired to sally forth today on extra dewy
grass
> for some fresh try
>
> &
> as i imagine jesper might still be dropping in while
> grazing the hudson & or housatonic valleys just
about
> now
> as he roars down from niagara falls to turtle bay or
> vice versa
> i am moved to nod specifically in his imagined
> direction
>
> so in case you do or dont see or hear from me for a
> while
> dont worry
> as i should be back soon in every case
>
> the objective is the 3town point that is formed by
> amenia aka amoenia
> in dutchess aka dutches county new york
> with kent & sharon
> in new english litchfield county connecticut
> & it is evidently marked by a rather curious
> connecticut & new york state line monument
> probably tho not necessarily one of the roughly 100
in
> the fairly common 1909 series
>
> for since it is 1 of only 2 numbered ctny markers
> indicated by usgs mapping
> & in fact the only one that appears to mark a
tripoint

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4627725&e=624008&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
> & is on a state line where the other town tripoints
> are maintained poorly if at all
> this special marker could just as easily prove to be
> one of the reportedly rare relics of the previous
ctny
> demarcation
> circa 1860
>
> but before leaving the house
> as i still havent replaced my broken camera &
probably
> wont
> i could at least show you a simulacrum of the
likelier
> of the 2 styles
> & indeed the only available marker style at the
moment
> http://3blooms.net/trips/2005/2.php
> a roadstone which itself borders 2 of the targeted
> towns & is not at all far from the target tripoint
>
> tho i can also tell you some fragments at least of
one
> member of the 1860 series i hope to find here can
> still be found scattered around its 1898 many
> successor at the ctmany tristate point
> a bit farther north but also not very far off
>
> so it is beeps for now & down thru the covered
bridge