Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] down under
Date: Apr 21, 2006 @ 21:27
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

http://www.ga.gov.au/education/facts/dimensions/borders.htm

> thanx
> this site has actually been twisting our minds since
> message 1016
> tho the address has changed a few times over the
> years
>
> & i suppose the most peculiar thing about its
> contents
> from a multipointing perspective is that they are
> not
> really so concerned with the ozzie tripoints as with
> the various corners of south australia
>
> nor do they show pix of either of the 2 full blown
> tristate points that actually do exist down under
>

> of these
> the dry nsqlsa tristate point or camerons corner
> was last & perhaps best visited here

> & in fact the unnamed wet nssavi tristate point has
> no
> known pic but just this atmospheric or neighborhood
> shot
> http://www.ecotrek.com.au/listings/19.html
>

> of the 2 northern territory nontristate tripoints
> aka ntsawa & ntqlsa
> or the surveyor generals & poeppels corners
> respectively
> only the latter is indeed shown
>
> so unless one is quite careful
> it is easy to get a very wrong impression of the
> ozzie
> tristate points
> & even to imagine that there are 4 of them when
> there
> are really only 2 properly so called
> & to further imagine that we have been treated to
> pix
> of them all here
> when in fact only the last mentioned one
> which is not really a tristate point
> is shown at all
>

> in case anyone is wondering
> the other of the 2 lesser tripoints that is so
> rarely
> visited
> namely ntsawa or the surveyor generals corner
> is actually shown here

http://www.explorertours.com.au/itineraries/centraldeserts

here is a better ntsawa visit
http://www.confluence.org/photo.php?visitid=1801&pic=1
tho it looks like only the capless bloke is making his
point very well

& while we are in the neighborhood
here is a better look at the nssavi triarea too
http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?lat=-34&lon=141

but these folks appear to have completely disregarded
the tripoint
despite having ascended the murray to within a mile or
2 of it
before waltzing off across the billabongs to their
nontripoint trypoint

perhaps they didnt know or care where to look for our
tripoint trypoint

it is admittedly a bit of a puzzle

the nsvi state line at least is believed to run along
the high water mark on the south or left bank of the
river
but we have no data on the convergent nssa state line
demarcation coming down from camerons corner in the
north
nor frankly do we know if the savi state line also
follows the same high water mark
or some other feature of the river
the short distance from nssw to vinw

so even we
despite all this help from the government of oz
plus a lot of additional searching on google
still dont actually know exactly where to look for
nssavi either

this zoomable map only suggests the difficulty of the
situation
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/mapcenter/map.aspx?TextLatitude=39.45&TextLongitude=-98.907&TextAltitude=0&TextSelectedEntity=39070&SearchEnc=false&MapStyle=Comprehensive&MapSize=Large&MapStyleSelectedIndex=0&searchTextMap=renmark&MapStylesList=Comprehensive&ZoomOnMapClickCheck=on