Subject: lost pic of algatn trifinial tee is back on line
Date: Mar 25, 2006 @ 06:18
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@yahoo.com>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

oops
just realized this only known pic was lost in the last
yahoo tsunami

so here it is again as an email attachment
& for the gmane archive too
along with a fuller yet still partial view of the
accumulated heap of rocks & stakes etc that this
presumptive tripoint stone is the apparent centerpiece
of
aka the pin cushion
as it appeared in the late 1990s

the tee is erect & centered & clear only in the first
photo attachment

my guess is that it was chiseled into the top face of
this now wobbly stone by camak himself in 1826 in the
correct alignment then to show the junction of state
lines at this finally tripartite official exact
position

this was when his original 1818 gatn rock & ganw
cornerstone try was moved a few hundred yards due east
to thenceforth mark the true ganw & algatn tripoint
here
according to the professional opinion linked below

thus he was able to perfect it to a tee & bullseye
after all
just as he had intended 8 years before

if only it had stayed put properly even then

& it may also be that his earlier inscription hasnt
been found on this rock because he himself took the
opportunity to remove or obscure the embarrassment of
it at that time

am also guessing the additional effacement by the many
layers of yellow paint was added by the tva after the
algatn point became incorporated into the nickajack
reservation boundary
as is indicated on the usgs topo

but the missing 1826 alga limestone pillar allegedly
in physical contact with the camak stone there
certainly does remain a good mystery
unless it has somehow just gotten busted up & or lost
in the supporting heap

also noteworthy at this point

tho its 1818 date is no longer legible nor applicable
this modified 1826 algatn rock is in any case most
likely the oldest working tristate marker in the usa
now that it has been certified most probably genuine

the oldest still clearly dated one is the 1849 mdne
cornerstone that today marks demdpa

Re: our loose yellow rock pinpoint algatn guess is
professionally confirmed

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, aletheia kallos
<aletheiak@...> wrote:

> except they missed the trifinial tee diagram we saw
> chiseled in the rock thru all the paint

this is the good stuff in case you missed it earlier

http://www.profsurv.com/newpsm/archive.php?issue=86&article=1215

http://www.bjbsoftware.com/corners/pointdetail.php3?point=2
including link to topo