Subject: egiljo & egjosa was Re: [BoundaryPoint] microstates and such
Date: Mar 15, 2006 @ 17:24
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, jim van dura

http://www.asergeev.com/pictures/archives/compress/2002/267/08.htm
> > i believe you will get a distant view of the
egiljo

http://www.asergeev.com/pictures/archives/compress/2002/267/33.htm

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/mapcenter/map.aspx?TextLatitude=39.45&TextLongitude=-98.907&TextAltitude=0&TextSelectedEntity=39070&SearchEnc=false&MapStyle=Comprehensive&MapSize=Large&MapStyleSelectedIndex=0&searchTextMap=elat&MapStylesList=Comprehensive&ZoomOnMapClickCheck=on

> > i believe both of these tripoints however may
still
> > be
> > only hypothetical equidistance types
> > since i am not aware of any agreements that pin
them
> > down
> >
> > but perhaps the tries for them can now be advanced
> > or
> > improved
>
> Yes indeed, Sahib, for you must of course mean the
> view toward EGJOSA from Egypt is eastward (rather
than
> westward) across the gulf, which I can easily
overlook
> and chalk up to your infamous sydlexia; but what you
> have completely overlooked yourself, beyond that, is
> the fact that Jordan claims an exceptional
territorial
> sea of only 3nm (while all the others claim the
> standard 12nm). Nor am I sure what this means for
the
> placement of the tripoints. But since an equidistant
> EGILJO (near the narrow head of the gulf) would fall
> less than 3nm from the lands of all three countries,
> presume it means nothing special in that case. Only
> EGJOSA, in being situated at a wider part of the
gulf
> and still having to fall no more than 3nm seaward of
> Jordan's coastal baselines (if they are ever
declared
> and published), would necessarily lie a bit closer
> the eastern shore than the western one...assuming
> Egypt may legally scarf up anything beyond the
median
> line that Jordan doesn't claim (...which I can't
> safely do since I don't know if she can, but let's
> hope someone can and will respond to fill in this
> curious blank). --Jimi

thanxx for both corrections abu jimi

& i think your excellent egjosa blank may be hard to
fill with certainty

for it is first a question of whether the gulf is
indeed wide enough where the josa boundary enters it
for the actual or eventual coastal baselines of egypt
& jordan including offshore islands to lie more than
6nm apart there

& for this i havent yet seen a good enough map to
gauge & assess

encarta makes it look rather doubtful tho
& certainly quite a close call in any case

&
with no more than a few square meters of additional
seas to gain
if any
jordan might never take the trouble to enlarge her 3nm
claim
or acknowledge or participate in the law of the sea
convention in any other way for that matter
tho i do see there is at least an iljo median line
agreement to agree
http://www.un.org/Depts/los/LEGISLATIONANDTREATIES/STATEFILES/ISR.htm
which means btw that egiljo at least is no longer
entirely hypothetical but already somewhat delimited

&
to return to the egjosa blank
i also cant imagine egypt taking the trouble of
pressing her claim beyond the median line with jordan
even if it turned out that there were a few meters of
room available to do so

but admittedly the uncertainty does leave even this
hypothetical equidistance tripoint incomplete
at least in one probability