Subject: Re: Europe-Asia Boundary "within" Russian Federation
Date: Feb 13, 2006 @ 21:39
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

since the orenburg oblast is generally accepted as being in both europe & asia
a total of about 32 & a half subjects are in asia
& thus the balance of about 55 & a half are in europe

in terms of this map
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/commonwealth/russiaaddivisions.jpg
the conventional continental divide running from north to south
forms the eastern boundary
successively
of
nenetsia
komi
perm &
bashkortostan
& then splits orenburg pretty much in half

it appears 7 major internal tripoints fall on the continental divide