Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] The point of the Durand Line
Date: Jan 19, 2006 @ 15:38
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

borders are scratched across the hearts of men
by strangers with a calm judicious pen

& in this case it certainly does appear to have worked
to divide & rule these folks ever since

but of course what the strangers including durand
thought they were doing by creating afghanistan & its
borders at that time was to prevent the expanding
russian sphere of influence from colliding head on
with the british in south asia

it wasnt about the pashtuns really nor any of the
other locals
http://www.d-n-i.net/charts_data/pashtunistan.htm

indeed border making almost never is about the locals
&
it almost never really
w o r k s
toward the end of keeping peoples together

on the contrary

by & large

& btw dom this is another admittedly difficult
distinction for most people to make
but here at boundarypoint our focus is not actually
borders per se
but geopolitical multipointing
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoundaryPoint/
which is in itself a difficult topic for most people
to even understand or acknowledge

& so you may well find that you will get more border
oriented answers at our borderpoint group
which was subsequently created with this very border
orientation & purpose in mind
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/borderpoint/
or at the ibru group which was previously created with
a border orientation & purpose too
http://www-ibru.dur.ac.uk/resources/intboundaries.html
both of which we have tried not to duplicate here