Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Japan - "Mikuni" - meaning and use
Date: Dec 01, 2005 @ 18:48
Author: Hugh Wallis ("Hugh Wallis" <hugh@...>)

>>very much worth wading for<<

Well - I wasn't actually about to wade into the river to collect a class-a on Ibaraki-Saitama-Tochigi - it seemed a bit deep - hehehe

In Japanese, as in English, there are many words for the same thing and the same word can have more than one meaning depending on the context. There are subtleties and shades of meaning that may or may not be universally understood or interpreted. As for whether "kuni" (the part that means country) denotes "nation state" or not, I really can't say. I believe that "Han" is the word for what we refer to as "prefecture" - although you will see the English word "prefecture" on signs all over the place, as you will have observed from some of my photographs. Therefore I think that, today, you would probably not find that "kuni" would be used to refer to provinces (from the Edo period) but I can ask, as this might be an erroneous assumption - and I have been known to make those in the past :).

As an aside, and an example of one of the more difficult parts of the Japanese language for westerners, "mi" meaning 3 is the pronounciation only in some circumstances (I've noticed that it usually seems to be when it is followed by a "k" sound) - the more usual pronounciation is "san" (not at all similar phoenetically!!). Regardless of the pronounciation, the same Kanji character (3 horizontal lines for those with Kanji challenged computers) is used in each case when writing it - that's because Kanji is ideographic, not phoenetic. This phenomenon seems to be quite widespread in Japanese. The phoenetic Katakana symbol for "mi" is almost the same symbol although the lines slope top left to bottom right more (ミ). The Hiragana symbol is, however, totally different - (み).
Cheers

Hugh