Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] new border pictures
Date: Nov 04, 2005 @ 22:05
Author: Dallen Timothy (Dallen Timothy <dtimothy@...>)

Well, the main stone by the road and arch (where all our group members are standing), and the arch itself, is clearly a popular spot with tourists to take pictures. It was a surprise to me how ready the Burmese military guys were to let us take their pictures as well. As for the other marker and the fence, I doubt the Chinese would have liked me taking the pix if they had known about it. I took the fence and other marker pix from the large golden temple you can see in the first picture, looking back. I doubt anyone has taken these pictures before.

I was also unaware the Michael was with me!! If that’s him, he was a great travel companion!

No, the monument clearly marks the actual boundary near the river, but the fence is all that denotes the border as one moves further west, and I’m sure that, as in the case of the US-Mexico, where the US has built a fence inside the border, the Chinese have done the same. This is clear on the river bank, and I’d be willing to bet that the fence all along this area is inside China a meter or two.

Dallen