Subject: AW: [BoundaryPoint] SMh (Mont Blanc)
Date: Nov 02, 2005 @ 09:18
Author: Wolfgang Schaub ("Wolfgang Schaub" <Wolfgang.Schaub@...>)

The scale of course is much too large. You need at least a map 1 : 100,000 (findable in the web). The distance between Mt Blanc summit and Mt Blanc de Courmayeur is about 600 m.

It does not help if I upload one to illustrate - since Italian maps show the border different. It is an unresolved issue since 1861 when the new French/Italian border was drawn after the dissolution of the Kingdom of Sardinia and its satellites; essentially the roots of the dispute are in the Treaty of Utrecht 1713, where it is not quite clear whether the borders between two countries in principle should run: at the divide or at a line visible from the valley. While the Italians opt for the divide, the French interpret the treaty to their advantage and claim the summit of Mt Blanc for themselves, arguing that you can only see Mt Blanc de Courmayeur from the valley at Courmayeur.

I feel we should blow the issue up to really an international conflict, so that we can enjoy another war...

Another feature is that the area "behind" the summit, if French territory, is not clearly assigned to a community. St. Gervais and Chamonix are debating to whom it should belong.

Wolfgang