Subject: better link here Re: [BoundaryPoint] in further pursuit of afcnpk or maybe afcnjk before we get there
Date: Oct 25, 2005 @ 20:50
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

& i should probably add to forestall any needless confusion
as well as to report some actual confusion
that the afcnpk trifinium falls most likely not at the summit of the mentioned nameless
pamir either
but much more likely just as it is shown here
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu:8085/tajikistan/100k/10-43-102.jpg
specifically at a ridge trijunction on one of this nameless pamirs also anonymous hips
notwithstanding that a peak is ignorantly & self contradictorily specified in the afcn treaty
on page 3 here
http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/IBS089.pdf
nor that
as mentioned on page 5 there too
differing geocoordinates are given for presumably the same tripoint position in the cnpk
treaty
as seen on page 3 here
http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/IBS085.pdf

this discrepancy however probably does not mean there are 2 distinct probable tripoint
positions for afcnpk
but i think it is most likely just some sort of a secretarial error

& dont mind that the above map says india where we expect pakistan if you can read
cyrillic
nor that it shows a tripoint elevation somewhat under 5600 meters rather than somewhat
over 5600 meters as both treaties specify in unison
because it does have the ridge trijunction exactly right
which is obviously the most important thing
since it is verbally described just that way

for whatever laffs it may be worth tho
the map tripoint longitude does agree with the cnpk treaty longitude rather than the afcn
treaty longitude
& the map tripoint latitude agrees with neither treaty

nor would the actual geocoords given in either treaty produce a peak tripoint
so i think we can safely forget that silly idea
& rest easy that we probably do have the right point on the soviet topo here
but just dont yet necessarily know its legal name
since it is mostly only de facto
& highly subject to ongoing revision