Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Digest Number 1906
Date: Sep 19, 2005 @ 16:52
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

ahh beauty mike thanxxx
blanca peak aka us2co3alcohu
aka alh coh huh
http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=13&n=4159066&e=457146&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
must be something of a standout

& this account of an apparently successful try even
got me dizzy
http://sangres.com/mountains/blancapeak.htm

& here is a very likely punctilious visitation photo
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dawndup/blanca.jpg
presumably by elbow touch at right foreground

more below

--- spookymike@... wrote:

> In a message dated 9/16/05 4:42:09 PM,
> BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com writes:
>
> << which reminds me to ask
> have you ever found a county highpoint that is
> exactly
> coincident with a multipoint of any kind
>
> i mean
> other than the unconfirmed one at or near van
> the northernmost point of virginia
> aka vawv3frhamo >>
>
> Good question. Without looking, I know that several
> county highpoints fit
> the bill, especially in the common circumstance
> where county/state lines follow
> ridge lines, and a multi-point gets created where
> boundaries intersect.
> However, the classic example is the summit of Blanca
> Peak, one of Colorado's
> outstanding and highest mountains. That's the only
> place in the U.S. that is the
> highest point of three counties, namely Alamosa,
> Costilla, and Huerfano. Close
> examination of the topo makes it look as if the
> Huerfano highpoint is some
> 150' down the northeast ridge of Blanca, but our
> county highpointing group
> checked with local authorities some time ago and
> were assured that the summit is a
> true tri-county point/highpoint.
>
> <<& another delicate tho far easier & pointless
> question
> i just thought of
>
> which county occupies the greatest percentage of the
> area of its state>>
>
> I believe these are the top three:
>
> Hawaii (HI) 4028/6423=62.7%
> Sussex (DE) 938/1954=48.0%
> Providence (RI) 413/1045=39.5%

thanxxx again
& not least for doing it in triplicate again

& i agree these are certainly the top 3 for land areas
but i was more curious about the total territories
including both land & sea areas
since the competition is apparently much closer in
that case
tho evidently still between sussex & hawaii counties

the only catch is i havent been able to find any hard
data on the maritime territory of sussex county

guesstimating from this map
http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4286505&e=493016&s=1000&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG100
i would add about 250 square land miles to the area of
sussex
from out of delawares 535 total square land miles of
sea
leaving sussex at still about 48 percent in that case
too

& if hawaii county & state were properly dressed in
their water areas
producing square mileages in that case of 5087 over
10932
then i am pretty sure sussex county would win by about
48 to 46

but i would say the margin is still too narrow to call
without harder data