Subject: SV: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Where is this German exclave in Belgium?
Date: Aug 31, 2005 @ 02:50
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

Nobody I've ever contacted in towns in the area knows. The treaty
says the track bed - how deep does that go? To a depth immediately
below the rocks laying on the dirt over which the rails are laid? Or
to a depth to bottoms of the drainage pipes belonging to the railroad?
Or, to the bottom of the arch over which the tracks pass. Or, to the
upper surface of the road bed under the bridge? Or to a point in
between - like truck height - so that a truck on the road doesn't
violate Belgian airspace? (After all, a truck loaded with cigarettes
on the back that crosses the border without declaring the cargo for
tax and customs duty, would be a smuggler, no?) If the road directly
underneath the bridge is German, the border had to make a deviation
from descending vertically at some point. If the bottom of the road
bed under the tunnel is the depth at which the ground becomes Belgian
again as we descend, then the German road forms a tunnel of
sovereignty connecting the two pieces of Germany on the W & E sides of
the railroad tracks. Of course, if below the road, to the middle of
the earth (or beyond) the soil remains German, then, there is no
"tube" or tunnel of German sovereignty, only a "shell" or cover of
Belgian sovereignty on top of all that German land.

What a picture.

We had tubes of sovereignty in the form of the allied air access
routes over E Germany to W. Berlin... by treaty, they had a width, a
minimum altitude and a maximum altitude, beyond which the the allies
had no rights. The western powers had no rights of access to planes
that crashed on the ground, because to get to the ground, they had to
leave the corridor.

Regards
LN

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen" <jesniel@i...>