Subject: Re: Point Roberts, WA
Date: Jul 04, 2005 @ 23:53
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

yes good concise info but does it answer the question actually asked
which was
why didnt the powers jog the border so as to make point roberts canadian

& one answer is
the powers who were commissioned to survey & run this border werent empowered to jog
it but only to run it straight west from the rockies into the middle of the georgia strait
&
the powers who had executed the agreement that these commissioners were following had
had no clear idea how or where their sleek new border would reach the georgia strait

in fact nobody had much of an idea until it was practically done
& then it was too late
but also too inconsequential to worry about
& actually not such a rare occurrence as one might suppose anyway

the kentucky bend exclave for example also owes its existence to a similarly surprising
outcome that the writers of the kytn agreement were powerless to foresee & the surveyors
powerless to avert

& many lower order borders have the same sort of quirk too

the interesting thing about these quirks from a multipointing point of view is the
triplication of tripoints that they give rise to

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Doug Murray <doug@d...> wrote:
> Ah!
>
> Here's some good concise information:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Roberts
>
> And some info and photos I posted long ago:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Cabana/9282/pointroberts1.html
>
> Cheers!
>
> Doug
>

> On Jul 4, 2005, at 1:20 PM, Seymour Dupa wrote:
>
> > Just wondering why the powers-to-be didn't 'jog' the
> > border to make it Canadian?
> >
> > --- Doug Murray <doug@d...>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I can see it from my backyard.  Any questions?
> > >

> > You only get one chance on this merry-go-round.
> > But if you do it right, once is enough.

hmm yes
questions

are you sure about this too