Subject: Russia-Estonia border treaty
Date: May 22, 2005 @ 23:51
Author: Brendan Whyte (Brendan Whyte <bwhyte@...>)

This month's Estonian-Russian boundary treaty is available (except the
boundary description and map!!) at
<http://web-static.vm.ee/static/failid/372/Riigipiiri_leping_Venemaaga_rus.pdf>.

Thanks to Pepijn for pointing me to the document.

Here is a Babelfish translation from the Russian:

AGREEMENT between the Estonian republic and the Russian Federation about
the Estonian- Russian state border Estonian republic and Russian
Federation, being further named sides, guided by the universally recognized
principles and the standards of international law, including documents OF
UNITED NATIONS and OBSE, and confirming the tendency to develop
intergovermental relations on their basis, desiring to ensure favorable
conditions for the development and strengthenings of good neighborly
relations and of mutual confidence between two states, attempting to
develop lawful basis for regulating of questions, connected with the
Estonian- Russian state border, agreed about that be followinging:

Article 1
1. in the present agreement of side decide questions of the passage of the
state border between the Estonian republic and the Russian Federation in
the land section (further - state border) they confirm that with the coming
into force of present agreement they consider the questions indicated as
those regulated.
2. passage of the line of the differentiation of the sea spaces of side is
defined by various agreement.

Article 2
the state border, defined by present agreement, is line and passing along
this line vertical surface, that demarcate land, reservoirs, airspace and
depths of Estonian republic and Russian Federation.

Article 3
1. of side on the basis of the understandings, achieved in the course of
Estonian Russian negotiations on boundary questions, determined the passage
of state border, which is given in the description (appendix 1) and it is
plotted on the map of scale 1:50 000 (appendix 2). Appendices 1 and 2 to
the present agreement are its integral parts.
2. in the case of the differences between the sides with the interpretation
of the point of 1 present article decisive importance has a description of
the passage of state border according to application 1 to the present
agreement.

Article 4
points of the joint of the state borders of Estonian republic, Russian
Federation and Latvian republic is determined by the separate agreement
between these three states.

Article 5
1. for the establishment in the locality of the passage of the state border
of side creates on parity principles the joint demarcation commission
(further - commission), and each side assigns the cochairman of commission
and his deputy.
2. commission asserts the regulations of its activity.
3. each of the sides beret to itself coating the expenditures of its part
of the commission, if the governments of the parties sometimes do not agree
about something different.

Article 6
1. commission achieves demarcation of state border as follows: it prepares
the drafts of documents about the demarcation of state border; determines
if necessary on the boundary rivers (lakes) the precise position of main
(navigable) fairway, middle of river or its main sleeve, and also the
belonging of islands in the boundary rivers and the lakes; boundary signs
are established.
2. with performing of demarcation work commission considers on the basis of
the mutual agreement of the condition of the domestic-economic activity of
population, including of land tenure, the nature of locality, and also the
need of creating the favorable conditions for the protection of state border.

Article 7
state border is considered finally demarcated after assertion the
government of each of the sides of the documents of demarcation - the
description of the passage of the line of state border, protocols of
boundary signs and demarcation map.

Article 8
questions, which are concerned the activity of boundary representatives,
the rules of water-use, navigation, joint operation of those located on the
boundary it is bridge and water-engineering constructions, the conditions
of fishing, another economic activity in the boundary waters and of
different aspects of the regime of state border, they are regulated by
separate agreements.

Article 9
questions, which appear with fulfilling of present agreement, sides decide
along the diplomatic channels.

Article 10
present agreement is subject to ratification and comes into force after 30
days from the date of the exchange of ratification instruments. Are
perfected into Moscow "18" May of 2005 in two copies, each in Estonian and
the Russian language, moreover both texts be identically valid.

For The Estonian Republic
[signature]

For The Russian Federation
[signature]