Subject: AW: [BoundaryPoint] Hammerfest or?
Date: May 15, 2005 @ 08:38
Author: Wolfgang Schaub ("Wolfgang Schaub" <Wolfgang.Schaub@...>)

The question is: What is a "town". Alert, Nord, Kaffeklubben etc. are settlements, but do not really sound like "towns" in the European sense of the word. A town, as I understand, has to have certain rights as an administrative center, should also be inhabited by permanent settlers, better even: by people born there. This all applies to Longyearbyen.

Pyramiden and Ny Alesund on Svalbard have been settlements in the past, even more northerly, but are not inhabited anymore, after coal mining has become too unprofitable.

Wolfgang