Subject: Re: Hammerfest or?
Date: May 15, 2005 @ 00:01
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "fabio" <fabiov@f...> wrote:
> Hello!
> I post this query here, hoping not to bore anybody.
> In a trivial pursuit query there is written that "the town
Hammerfest in
> Norway is the upper most northern town in the world".
> Well, I know that there is the military Canadian base ALERT (with
its post
> office available also to civilian people) which is surely northern
than
> Hammersfest, but surely there are some villages in Svalbard islands
or in
> Asian Russian territory, or in Alaska.
> Probably, before answering, we must define the word "town",

not necessarily we
since it is you who are asking the question

only when you decide what you yourself want & mean
can we actually proceed to answer your question

so this is a request for you to tell us again what you want
rather than asking us to both tell you what you want & to answer

& i realize people are eager to chime in
but it would not be punctilious let alone multipunctilious to chime
in with just anything
but rather only to answer the question & serve the quest actually
meant & specified

until we do hear from you again tho
i would say the main difficulty with your question as it is presently
stated is the word upper or uppermost

the phrase
northermost or most northern town in the world
is not a problem really
since the word town does have a standard range of meaning
so we can take you at your word or words on that point & answer for
the entire range
but the word upper is offputting
so perhaps you will explain or drop that part
& we may then proceed to answer your question & be of service to your
quest with complete confidence

but you cant expect us to tell you what you want

for example
we have already found the northernmost palindromic locality in the
world no problem because thats what was specifically asked for &
wanted in that case

so it is not we but you who must decide

until then
both the question & all the answers are just various degrees of
sloppiness
however well meaning they all may be

the word