Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Belgian lower order claves
Date: Mar 14, 2001 @ 22:36
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

cant answer the question but it reminds me
from what you reveal below
it seems the municipalities of the brussels region are technically on the
same level as the provinces of the other 2 belgian regions
or put differently the municipalities of the brussels region are tertiary
entities while all the other belgian municipalities are quaternary ones
or in still other words belgium is not all there

but actually i have found that partial structural gaps like this are fairly
common
& moreover if you dig deeply & broadly enough
you will find that practically everywhere is not all there on some level
& that just about everywhere ultimately fades off into a crazy mix of
partial or missing layers

while we are searching the world for extremes
i wonder what is the numerically highest or actually deepest level of
subdivision & therefore of boundaries on earth

for example
i have an old map of my home town i would say shows quintenary divisions
following the levels of country & state & county & municipality
namely our ghost school districts as they existed before consolidation
& i suppose that the private landholdings within these districts at that
time would have been sextenary divisions

nor do i imagine the sextenary level would be hard to surpass
especially in a big city with wards & districts & condo apartments etc

but i just wonder how far out or up or down this process could be taken
or rather how far it has actually been taken somewhere
& where that somewhere is