Subject: status of serranilla & bajo nuevo banks & their exclusive economic zone
Date: May 02, 2005 @ 16:54
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

dear president bush

may i invite your direct attention to the following
recent letter from my friend lowell mcmanus to the
office of insular affairs
regarding the currently indistinct status of the
united states territorial possessions at serranilla &
bajo nuevo banks in the caribbean sea
as well as the considerable exclusive economic zone
they generate

i come to you with this matter because these american
possessions are evidently all under direct executive
care & responsibility
owing to quaint federal guano recovery law
& because the oia appears confused & indisposed to
answer directly & clearly on your behalf with regard
to them since perhaps 2003

may i also take this opportunity to inquire directly
from you what your present disposition is regarding
these several united states territories

thank you for your consideration in this matter
& for all you do

with sincere respect & affection
michael donner

cream hill
w cornwall ct

and many other sources for information on the current
status of the US claims to the Serranilla and Bajo
Nuevo Banks in the Caribbean Sea. I find seemingly
conflicting information on your site.

> First, I am aware that these islands were claimed
under the Guano Islands Act, that the US is not
obligated to retain possession of guano islands after
the removal of the guano, and that other nations do
have claims to them. I have no political axe to grind
either way. My interest is purely academic.

> Your web page at
http://www.doi.gov/oia/Islandpages/acquisition_process.htm
lists these two places as acquired under the Guano
Islands Act and gives dates. Nothing there indicates
that they are not still claimed.

> At the very bottom of your page at
http://www.doi.gov/oia/Islandpages/political_types.htm
,
"Disputed Island" is defined as "Formerly or currently
considered U.S. possession by the U.S. The U.S.,
through negotiation, has disclaimed ownership of most
islands in favor of another country. Two islands
remain contested."

> One is left to assume that those two are Serranilla
and Bajo Nuevo.

> However, at the bottom of your page at
http://www.doi.gov/oia/Islandpages/disputedpage.htm ,
it says that remaining US claims are "None."

> Additionally, the CIA World Factbook has ceased to
list Serranilla and Bajo Nuevo among the international
disputes of the USA.

> What is the current position, if any, of the US
government on the status of these islands? Has there
been any official determination, or is it the policy
just to ignore them? If there has been any official
renunciation of the US claims, I would appreciate
knowing when and to
whom.