Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: mxus2camxus becomes maquiladora tripoint as us2caus makee la dora now too
Date: Apr 25, 2005 @ 16:40
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

I wondered that too. The Indian journalists who wrote the article wouldn't be
expected to know the difference.

Still, THE BOSTON GLOBE covers the story in much greater detail at
http://tinyurl.com/bs85c , and they quote SeaCode, Inc. as saying three miles
out. The SeaCode, Inc. web site at http://www.sea-code.com says "3.1 miles off
the Coast of Los Angeles."

It's obvious that the ship will be of foreign registry, although no flag is
specified. Otherwise everyone who works aboard would have to be American.
(That's why there are almost no US-flagged merchant or cruise ships.) It is
already clear that employees on foreign-flagged vessels, even while temporarily
in American ports, are not subject to US federal labor laws and visa
requirements. What laws, then are they planning to skirt? Three miles would
get them beyond California laws (a wise move for any business), but the GLOBE
article implies that it's sufficient to avoid US immigration laws.

It might be that certain US immigration laws haven't been updated since the
extension of US territorial waters to twelve nautical miles. More likely, the
thinkers at Sea Code haven't updated their thinking. Still, oddly, their web
site touts "the protection of U.S. Intellectual Property laws."

As I prepare to send this, I find a Forbes article at
http://www.forbes.com/business/forbes/2005/0509/048.html in which the firm's
maritime lawyer gives the concept his backhanded approval, but it also describes
three miles out as "international waters." I also find an article at
http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=10959 that says the ships registry will
likely be Bahamian. It also explains that intellectual property produced at sea
is covered by the laws of the country where it first makes land contact, and
this will be beamed directly ashore to the USA.

In any case, if the concept is viable at three miles, it should be viable at
twelve. That's still a heck of a lot closer than India! There's contact info
on the SeaCode web site. Someone other than I might want to lodge an inquiry.
Good luck! :-)

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA