Subject: berkshires now complete to the 5th power with pix attached
Date: Apr 20, 2005 @ 22:48
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@yahoo.com>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

& now
yessss
& yesssss

grmone was an easy & good looking undressed rock
once i pulled off her dirty pink headband

erected in 1853
as i later learned by the usual means

& tho she leans heavily downhill & looks like a
stump
she was obliging enough to pop out for me
just as soon as i corrected for a slight initial
misorientation

pic attached

then
since i was so close to grnesh again
i ran back over there to find the gays not at home
but revisited & photographed her excellency twice
anyway

once to exaggerate & once to minimize her extreme
camouflage effects

yet happily she lives up to her reputation by being
equally hard to spot in both pix

i will also attach a composite scan of these & the
nail souvenir
to this message if there is room
or to a followup if not

& finally
the monesa try was rather unusual tho not half the
allday sucker i had supposed

parking was easy where mosa crosses sandisfield road
on the topo hopefully still linked at bottom
& tho i considered just trying to follow mosa wsw from
there to the companion rock & then sse to the tripoint
nevertheless
to skirt a house & minimize prickers as well as try
something new
i attempted to make the shortest possible bushwhack
from the road to the companion rock by means of a
carefully measured & paced beeline
at right angles to the road & diagonally to the rock
beginning from a point also carefully paced off
from the nearby stedman pond road junction

this was actually not so easy to do

& in the event
as i also later learned
i overshot the distance guess by 100 paces & yawed
westward off the bearing guess by 50 paces more

& thus reached a point of mystification
& of being unable to explain why i still hadnt spotted
the marker in these open woods

but recovered from this setback by acting as if i had
found the marker
& by veering left toward where i figured the tripoint
marker had to be

this in fact meant i was navigating diagonally off of
the afternoon sun
& was thus redoubling my experiment in diagonal
reckoning
which i had to admit wasnt going very well in the
first place

but luckily another pink survey line soon emerged
which surprised me by leading first to the companion
rock
& then
once i figured out where i really was
it led me on to monesa
who was so grand on her steep perch that i had to
frame her diagonally too
fittingly enough i guess

& that big pic will have to wait for the next message

&
my sequel visit to the great barrington library for
todays border bible reading
included previews this time of the diagrams it offers
for the next 2 tripoints in the sequence as well
namely mootsa
at the otis end of mosa
which will complete the southern tier of the berkshire
town tripoints
& mootty
at the tyringham end of moot

but these deserve a new message
which i will need for the monesa attachment anyway
so please stand by for more

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4670334&e=641283&datum=nad83

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4668439&e=649823&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25