Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Islands in dispute between USA and others
Date: Apr 17, 2005 @ 01:47
Author: Seÿffffe1n O'Connell (=?iso-8859-1?q?Se=FFffffe1n=20O'Connell?= <gleannmaghair@...>)

Here's an interesting paper about the Machias Seal
Island dispute:

http://www.siue.edu/GEOGRAPHY/ONLINE/Schmidt.htm

Seán O'Connell

--- aletheiak <aletheiak@...> wrote:

---------------------------------

good thinking
since why bother bush
when this may suffice to settle it

& will be fun in any case
as i think we may well have stumbled on at least 1
quadribanger miniarchipelago here
which might at least equal the greatest number of
known national claims to any naturally
dry land in the world that we are aware of
on several of the individual spratly islands
even if we dont any longer have
or never had
a true quintibanger

but doesnt the situation feel eerily similar to the
way china dropped her claim to sikkim
by quietly modifying a map & or list on a government
web page one night in 2003

except that that occurred rather poignantly in the
midst of a cnin negotiation iirc

whereas in this case
there would not appear to have been any specific
discussions between the usa & any of the
4 other putative claimants sufficient to have driven
such definitive events
or at least i dont recall being aware of any
while there would appear to be some political factors
to inhibit dropping the claims
out loud anyway

& so the question may well boil down to exactly how &
when do claims such as these
cease to have legal effect

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G.
McManus" <mcmanus71496@m...>
wrote:
> Mike D. wrote:
>
> > & i like your subsequent truly original finding
> > as well as your laying it at the feet of bush
where it apparently actually now
> > belongs
> > as we scribble
> > but are you then just going to stop there
> > or are you going to ask freakin bush
> > hahaha
>
> > or am i supposed to take responsibility for your
extravagance & ask him myself
> > hahahaha
>
> Before receiving your question above, I have just
sent an e-mail inquiry to
> Nikolau Pula, Director of the Office of Insular
affairs. After setting out the
> inconsistencies on the OIA web site concerning the
two places in question, I
> asked him:
>
> > What is the current position, if any, of the US
government on the status of
> > these islands? Has there been any official
determination, or is it the policy
> > just to ignore them? If there has been any
official renunciation of the US
> > claims, I would appreciate knowing when and to
whom.