Subject: Re: capitals or administrative centers for small places
Date: Apr 15, 2005 @ 02:51
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

Oooh, you touched on post offices - now you're in my bailiwick.
The CIA doesn't mention these because the post offices in the
Marshalls, Palau, and the other countries/nation states that have
compacts of free association with the USA are not US post offices.
They are post offices of those countries - the USPS assigned a ZIP
code to them, nothing more. Mail from Japan to Palau, for example,
doesn't need the US ZIP Code - if it did, the mailer in Japan would
have to pay postage to the USA. The postmaster general and staff of
the Republic of Palau Postal Service are not Americans nor employees
or agents of the U.S. Postal Service. These countries issue and use
their own stamps. The US does provide some foreign aid to these
former trust territories, and the aid does take the form of shipments
of US postal forms (like registered mail receipts, etc.), to save
these relatively poor countries from having to spend money on printing
their own. When the trusteeships ended, and these countries began
issuing their own stamps, there was a time when US stamps could be
affixed side-by-side with the local issues to make up needed postage -
in fact the USPS stamp stock was on hand during these interim
post-trusteeship - pre-independence periods, but as they were
exhausted, the remittances to the USPS was phased out. These
countries are indpendent now, and that dual-franking practice is no
longer allowed.

Regards

LN

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> I think that the CIA's reasons for giving the capitals of the
Marshall Islands,