Subject: Re: can you find 9 counties that have more than 1 tristate point
Date: Apr 14, 2005 @ 07:17
Author: adamnvillani ("adamnvillani" <avillani@...>)

SPOILERS!

For all my attempts here, I'll separate my guesses into what I can
think of Top of My Head vs. After Consulting a Reference.

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak" <aletheiak@y...> wrote:

> given that there are about 3143 counties etc in the usa but only
about 62 tristate points
> the overwhelming majority of counties must be devoid of tristate
points of any kind
> & in fact only about 5 percent of them have any tristate point at all
>
> but which exceedingly distinguished county has no fewer than 3
> marked tristate points

TOMH: The one at the tip of Oklahoma's panhandle.
ACAR: Yes! Cimarron County, OK, has nmoktx, conmok, and (barely) cokaok.

> & which 3 counties have 3 unmarked tristate points each
TOMH: I'm thinking they must be along the Mississippi and/or Ohio
rivers, but I dunno where.
ACAR: Aha! I've got it! New Madrid MO, Fulton KY, and Lake TN all
contain both kymotn1 and kymotn2. Good one.

> & while at it
> which 3 counties have 2 marked tristate points each

TOMH: Clark County, NV (or is azcanv unmarked?); Berkshire County, MA
(manyvt, ctmany)
ACAR: Oops... Clark NV doesn't reach all the way to aznvut, so it's
only got one tripoint. But Mohave County, AZ certainly has two
tripoints; the only question is whether the one in the Colorado River
is marked or unmarked. Berkshire MA is a winner. Aha... since Union
County NM and Baca County CO both definitely have two marked tripoints
each, by process of elimination Mohave AZ must be 1 marked, 1 unmarked.

> & which 2 counties have 1 marked & 1 unmarked tristate point each

TOMH: The northern county in Delaware.
ACAR: As seen above, Mohave AZ is one. New Castle, DE is the other.