Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Tin Bigha
Date: Apr 03, 2005 @ 17:44
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

here is another guess even more in line with arifs

since 3bigha is also just another way of saying an
acre
as suggested by the data given here & elsewhere ive
seen
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictB.html
then the comment made here
http://banglapedia.search.com.bd/HT/E_0054.htm
that an acre of land was agreed to be set aside for
this corridor
since 1952
suggests to me that the parcel may actually have
acquired its name in theory & principle
& that it may actually have been in use for many years
before it was determined exactly which acre or parcel
it was to be

& that when the actual parcel was finally agreed upon
& laid out
after having for some reason nearly quadrupled in size
its functional name had already been determined & thus
naturally continued to be applied even tho no longer
literally applicable

& my further guess is that the reason it nearly
quadrupled in size may have been to permit a minimum
feasible or practicable width
for since its 178 meter length was already determined
by the length of the gap it had to bridge
its width would have had to shrink from its present 85
meters to less than 23 meters in order for its 3bigha
name to still have been true
& all the stuff shown here might never have fit into
so narrow a strip
http://exclave.info/tin-bigha/tinbighamap.jpg

--- aletheiak <aletheiak@...> wrote:

> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Brendan Whyte
> <bwhyte@u...> wrote:
> > The original area the corridor was formed in was
> called Tin Bigha, I
> > believe, rather than the corridor being 3 bighas
> in extent.
> >
> > At 11:18 AM 29/03/2005 +0000, you wrote:
> >
> > >Message: 9
> > > Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:41:33 -0800 (PST)
> > > From: Arif Samad <fHoiberg@y...>
> > >Subject: Tin
> > >
> > >I think I mentioned that oddity already, as this
> fact
> > >always did bother me. Tin does means three and
> not
> > >ten, but Tin Bigha is close to ten or eleven
> bighas.
> > >Possibly the original corridor was smaller but
> > >untenable, or it may have been measured wrong.
> > >Unfortunately, even though I am a Bangladeshi,
> Brendan
> > >is more likely to know the origin.
>
> all perhaps true
> except i dont recall that earlier mention
> nor would it have been unfortunate even if he had
> known then or did know now
>
> my own guess still agrees more with yours here tho
> that the original 3 bighas from which tin bigha got
> its name are somehow included in the
> 11 bighas of tin bigha as we know it today
> rather than
> that all 11 of them were somehow once part of an
> even larger parcel that was nevertheless
> also originally comprised of & named for only 3 of
> its bighas
> as he apparently believes
>
> for that would only have exaggerated rather than
> reconciled the aberration of scale
> & would still have left the question of how this
> larger parcel ever derived its name from an
> even smaller fraction of its total territory
>
> clearly more historical data are needed to make any
> real sense out of this
>
> > >Arif
> > >BTW, the word Tin does not sound like the metal.
> The
> > >T is a soft T like the french word tres
> >
> > Dr Brendan Whyte
> > Assistant Map Curator