Subject: Re: VA Northernmost Point
Date: Mar 21, 2005 @ 17:38
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

wow thanx great find mike

& why not respond on list
as i know there are others who are interested
or could help

the thing that is really remarkable about these new
data you bring is that they throw into even greater
question the accuracy of the usgs depiction of the van
point position itself
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=17&n=4371826&e=728129&s=24

at first sight it looked as tho van & the ridge bm
point are the same point
& that is what i had been assuming
til i failed to find it or them last year

a closer look tho reveals that the defining dot in the
triangle is depicted about half a millimeter
or perhaps up to 40 feet
north & east of the indicated or implicit van point
position

which however is still nothing like the approx 100
yards that this new source suggests

& with matters now in such evident disarray
i also have to wonder if the cairn i also never found
really is or ever was an authentic vawv marker
& thus whether there is any text or other data
available that will resolve this uncertainty to our
satisfaction
before next month when a revisit op may occur

& could be added to a burgeoning middle atlantic
trypointing expedition itinerary btw
if that interests you or anyone else