Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Enclave on Malawi-Zambia border?
Date: Mar 13, 2005 @ 03:48
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

My maps (National Geographic Society and Microsoft Streets & Trips) show this as
a penenclave, but attached to the rest of Zambia. The MWZM (Malawi-Zambia) and
MWMZ (Malawi-Mozambique) boundaries appear to follow a drainage divide. The
MZZM (Mozambique-Zambia) boundary is a diagonal line that intersects the divide.
About 11.5 miles WSW of the tripoint along the diagonal line, the divide wanders
within slightly over one mile of the diagonal. The NGS map shows the main road
between Lilongwe, the capital of Malawi, and the Malawian town of Mchinji
passing through this Zambian penenclave. None of my maps show the lake that
yours seems to. Since the area is on a drainage divide, I tend to doubt the
existence of a lake.

On-line, you can see the penenclave on the a map of the Central East African
Railways at http://www.rrdc.com/images/map_malawi.gif .

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA