Subject: Re: Swiss enclaves in Liechtenstein and Suvarov?
Date: Mar 04, 2005 @ 08:40
Author: Anton Zeilinger ("Anton Zeilinger" <anton_zeilinger@...>)

Dear Øystein,

I concur with "aletheiak" that the Russian monument and the Swiss-
Liechtenstein thingy are not enclaves, i.e. they are not under the
exclusive sovereignty of the purported home state.

Most likely they hold some kind of so-called extraterritorial status,
i.e. that they are owned (as in proprietary land ownership) by the
respective state, who may be able to exercize some sort of special or
even exclusive control. There are several such monuments strewn all
over Europe, none of which are actual enclaves. One of the more
famous ones was the Soviet Monument in West Berlin, a few hundred
meters from the Brandenburg Gate, which was guarded and controlled by
the Soviet military. Without going into the question of who held
sovereignty over West Berlin, what IS clear is that the Soviet Union
never held sovereignty over the monument.

Regarding the purported Swiss enclave in Liechtenstein, I guess this
concerns a (previously discussed) well in southern Liechtenstein, to
and over which Switzerland has been granted unlimited access and (I
think) exclusive use. Still on (or rather under) Liechtenstein soil,
though.

Cheerio,
Anton

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Øystein Hagerup"
<oysteinha@v...> wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> I came across some curiousities the other day while reading the
Wikipedia
> entry for Switzerland: ([ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland
> ]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland)
>
> There I read:
> "Furthermore, three exclaves exist within Switzerland. The town of
> Büsingen is territory of Germany, the town of Campione d'Italia is
> territory of Italy and the about 24 m2 ground of the memorial to
General
> Suvorov's crossing of the Alps (1799) along the Gotthard road are
Russian
> territory. Switzerland itself holds a few m2 enclave in
Liechtenstein."

> These were unknown to me, and spurred a search for more
information. (In
> which I discoverend many intriguing things about enclaves, borders -
and
> this place.
>
> But I have still not come across any information on this
Liechtenstein
> situation, and not much to clear up this Suvorov situation either.
So I