Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] eupen and malmedy
Date: Feb 26, 2005 @ 01:41
Author: Pepijn Hendriks ("Pepijn Hendriks" <yahoo@...>)

I have another question regarding the border between Belgium and
Germany in that area.

Can anyone tell me if the town of Neu-Moresnet (or Preußisch-
Moresnet) was in Kreis Eupen before the war? The map on <http://home-
13.tiscali-business.nl/~tpm09245/terr/eumal/pru.htm> seems to suggest
that Kreis Eupen did not extend north of the main road Liège-Aachen.

It makes sense that it wasn't, since article 33 of the Treaty of
Versailles states that Germany would transfer to Belgium all areas of
Preußisch-Moresnet 'west of the road from Liège to Aachen'. If this
area was in Kreis Eupen, the area would have been covered by article
34, thereby rendering article 33 unnecessary.

But if it wasn't, how did the eastern border of Belgium came about
west of said road? Was there a seperate treaty for that? Or does it
follow from article 27? (If so, please help me understand where to
find the borders this article mentions!)

And why does <http://www.territorial.de/rheinpr/eupen/landkrs.htm>
state that on 10 January 1920 Kreis Eupen was transferred to Belgium,
but only 'teilweise' ('partially'), i.e. 'ohne kleinere Randgebiete'
('smaller peripheral regions excepted'). Isn't this in contradiction
with article 34 of the treaty?

Relevant links:
- http://www.versailler-vertrag.de/vv2.htm (article 27)
- http://www.versailler-vertrag.de/vv3.htm (article 32, 34)
- http://www.trois-frontieres.be/D/3xmoresnet.php

Maybe it's just because it's late. I should be going to bed, but am
still anxious about what you've got to say ... ;-)

-Pepijn