Subject: AW: [BoundaryPoint] eupen and malmedy
Date: Feb 24, 2005 @ 18:13
Author: Wolfgang Schaub ("Wolfgang Schaub" <Wolfgang.Schaub@...>)

As far as I can tell, the vast majority of people in ALL Europe do not wish to see borders changed - for a simple reason: We all have settled with the situation as it presents itself for 60 years now. Since living conditions in all countries are fairly similar, there is also no drive of stronger ones to take advantage of "minors". Who wants to work in another member country can do that almost without restrictions. Who wants to move abroad or buy property abroad can do that as well. In that regard, Europe is THE ONE AND ONLY MODEL of sort of a condominium of various ethnics that seems to work, and I thank God every day that I was born in the first peaceful period of our united continent since 1,200 years.

The same moment I say this I am afraid we are just about to begin destroying what we have built. We begin inviting countries to join "the club" that have no European identity or that wish to join only because they believe this opens access to unlimited funds from Brussels. At the same time we do not have the energy to adapt decision processes in the community to the requirements of a larger club. The Roman empire in its late stages offers a nice example that shows how disintegration was promoted under similar circumstances. Again, I have to be thankful that I will probably not witness the disintegration anymore...

Wolfgang