Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Digest Number 1673
Date: Jan 19, 2005 @ 12:48
Author: bwhyte@unimelb.edu.au (bwhyte@...)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

Junagardh, a princely state made up of at least 2 fragments on the Gujarat coast (and contianing an enclave of another state that joined India) toyed (or rather its maharajah did) with joining pakistan. India invaded "in support of a popular revolt at the idea" and the area has been Indian ever since. For years after (until at least 1965 or 1971) Palkistan showed Junagardh as part of its own territory, as it also showed Hyderabad as independent.
These 2 and Kashmir are the 3 issues that originally caused territorial tensions between India and Pakistan in 1947. Junagardh was no more 'irrational' than East Pakistan was (or Alsaka) but India argued that an 'enclave' of Paki territory in India was anathema. The Pakis couldn't defwend the Mharajah's position anyway.
The mamny princely states in the area got amalgamated into a larger union whose name I forget (Saurashtra??)... and this later became a unitary state called Gujarat.
My book on Cooch Behar mentions a Russian map of Pakistan that shows this irredentism too.

Brendan (stuck in transit in Singapore)