Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Tripoint Deutsches Reich - Sch weiz - �sterreich 1927
Date: Jan 11, 2005 @ 16:36
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

I think that the distinction is somewhat different from the one that Mike finds
below.

The post-colonial permanence of boundaries agreed upon by colonial powers
(compared to those agreed upon by post-colonial occupying powers) is based on
the perceived sovereignty of the colonial power over the colony (not merely the
longer duration of its rule); whereas a subsequent occupier is perceived as
temporarily suspending or even usurping the sovereignty of the occupied state
and therefore incompetent to give consent for it.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA