Subject: idmysge & idmysgw were Re: border crossings and rules of road
Date: Jan 06, 2005 @ 09:56
Author: Martin Pratt ("Martin Pratt" <m.a.pratt@...>)

The agreed IDMY, IDSG and MYSG boundaries all stop well short of the
equidistance tripoints both east and west of Singapore. Moreover,
none of the relevant agreements makes provision for an extension
towards a tripoint at a future date, so plenty of work remains to be
done before the tripoints are formally defined. In the east, no
progress is likely to be made until the International Court of
Justice has ruled on whether Malaysia or Singapore has sovereignty
over the disputed islets of Pulau Batu Puteh/Pedra Branca, Middle
Rocks and South Ledge; I think that is unlikely to happen before the
summer of 2006 at the earliest.

If anyone is interested, I can supply the coordinates of the
terminal points of the three agreed bilateral boundaries to the east
and west of Singapore.

You may also be interested to know that Volume 5 of the American
Society of International Law's 'International Maritime Boundaries'
series, due for publication in the spring, will include an in-depth
study of tripoint issues in maritime boundary delimitation -
including a table summarising the state of play with regard to 127
agreed and potential maritime boundary tripoints around the world!

m a r t i n

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak" <aletheiak@y...>