Subject: AW: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Seborga medieval bordermark
Date: Dec 22, 2004 @ 06:33
Author: Wolfgang Schaub ("Wolfgang Schaub" <Wolfgang.Schaub@...>)

Well, the difference to the Pedra Dreta in Llívia (and possibly to the other stones alluded to) is that it became a border marker later, in a secondary or tertiary function so-to-speak, while the stone on Monte Carparo may have been made a border marker right from the outset in 1338 or before.

Suspicion remains, however, for a couple of reasons, that the stone on Monte Carparo may have been fabricated.

The border there was really a border, between the historical "principality" of Seborga and the community of San Remo, which got absorbed into the Republic of Genova quite early. Still today it is the border between the two communities. I am sorry I can't show a "true" picture here since I am still living on old-fashioned slides.

Wolfgang