Subject: Re: casa grande az kaka ventana & mapipi tries
Date: Dec 17, 2004 @ 18:56
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Mike D. wrote:
>
> > so devoid of signposts & directionals is the papago reservation
> > that my first try for kaka went awry i thought in ventana
> > or in a place i took to be ventana at the time
>
> The prevailing philosophy must be: "Anyone who has any business
going already knows the way."

> By the way, don't the Papago now call themselves and their
reservation "Tohono O'odham"? That's how it appears on all of my
modern maps.

> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

indeed i was hastening to add just as the library closed upon me last
night
in deference especially to anyone of the papago persuasion who may be
reading my words
that these piercingly bright eyed people prefer to be called the
tohono o odham nation

& from the apostrophe between the o & the odham
i would have taken them for the lost tohono of oddham
a missing neighborhood from some odd hamlet in say ireland or wales

however
the welcome sign at the entrance to their reservation says
sic has elid g jewed
which they appear to indicate means
respect the land
but could have come down from
thus hast elided ge jewed
or in other words
this is indeed the land where the lost tribe slipped away to & wound
up in tho not the lost tribe of ireland or wales but israel

the only other worded sign of any kind i have ever seen on the entire
reservation is a recurring yellow diamond caution indicator that says
watch for tortoises

i mean just in case the real reality is surreal enough also for you

on the main roads
they dont even clue you where the junctions are until you have seen
them go whizzing by
nor suggest where they might lead to

& driving on the back roads on any reservation is like navigating
braided streams

they arent so much roads as they are a bunch of ways of going
somewhere

well you can probably tell i am just laying around here in casa
grande waiting for my laundry to get done

& have no intention of returning to oddham today or perhaps ever

so this is in all honesty no longer really a tripointing report
in case anyone cares to distinguish

which i hope you all still do

at least for auld lang syne