Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] paleo lamaya initial monument & mapiyu corner cases closed i think
Date: Dec 14, 2004 @ 01:25
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Great digging, Mike! I agree with almost all of your conclusions, particularly
your new interpretation of the "Initial Monument" having been Atwood's--in light
of the fact that his work seems to have been driven by a Yuma v. Maricopa suit
in the same year.

Your only conclusion with which I tentatively disagree is that the Atwood survey
never extended north or south of the then Maricopa-Yuma segment. My belief
otherwise is based on the statutory description of the boundaries of La Paz (
http://tinyurl.com/6bkg9 ), modern Yuma ( http://tinyurl.com/4fqxh ), and Pima
( http://tinyurl.com/52mbm toward the end) counties. Atwood probably set his 52
monuments pursuant to order of the Arizona Supremes, but unless the legislature
knows not whereof it speaks, he does seem to have surveyed farther both
northward and southward.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA