Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Arizona West of the Colorado River
Date: Dec 12, 2004 @ 07:30
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

The current AZCA boundary has been reduced to a series of stepped surveyed lines
across a former Colorado River meander about four miles in diameter called "The
Island" at the mouth(s) of the Gila River. This was done in 1960 as the only
practical solution because it was impossible to determine the location of the
main channel of the Colorado river as of 1850.

There is a long and fascinating discussion of the historic boundaries in the
Yuma area beginning at message 12573 and ending at message 12636. Look for
those messages entitled "mxn trip."

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA