Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] lamaya etc conclusion was Re: fresh algatn report by new players on a 7 point roll
Date: Dec 08, 2004 @ 23:28
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike D. wrote:

> there still remained the mystery of what the initial monument may have initialized

> perhaps it was just a preliminary mayayu
> or in other words a proto paleo lamaya
> & thus initial only in the chronological sense & no longer in the border marking sense
> having subsequently been revised & trumped by the corner number 1 marker
> which along with corners 2 & 3 & perhaps others was presumably set exactly on the 34th parallel
> notwithstanding precedence

I concur in part and dissent in part.  (I've always wanted to say that!)

Arizona Revised Statutes specify the boundary between La Paz County and its eastern neighbors Yavapai and Maricopa as "the meridian line one hundred thirteen degrees twenty minutes west longitude, as defined by the Atwood survey of 1918."  The Maricopa-Yavapai boundary is "the thirty-fourth parallel north latitude, as defined by the Thompson survey of 1924."

Thus, the north-south line was in place before the east-west line.  I suspect that the Initial Monument was the preliminary point on Atwood's meridian that Thompson chose from which to begin his measurements.  His final answer would have been marked by Corner Number 1.  However, the latter point is not a modern exactitude notwithstanding precedence.

I note, interestingly, that Monument Number 3, which you found, is shown as a rectangle; whereas the trio of missing marks at and near the county tripoint are shown as triangles.  I don't have a key to the USGS's map symbols (and neither TopoZone nor TerraServer seem to provide us one), but this might mean something.  Can anyone elucidate us as to the difference?

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA