Subject: Minutes & records
Date: Nov 26, 2004 @ 02:40
Author: Brendan Whyte (Brendan Whyte <bwhyte@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

Belgium and Netherlands found some minutes of meetings regarding Baarle
from the 1840s boundary commission. These were presented at the ICJ case in
the late 1950s. Some are still in the dutch archives I believe.
Versailles treaty minutes are presumably still around unless destroyed
during WW2. But where exactly, mat depend on which plebiscite/boundary
change. Less specialized documentation was published, and copies should be
held by the countries who were represented at/in the various adjustments.
Britain as a former guarantor of Belgian neutrality may hold (somewhere)
material on the Vennbahn enclaves, as may France, Belgium herself,
Germany... but the continental holdings may well have fallen victim to WW2
destruction, deliberate or otherwise.
And lots of cranks trying to prove the Portuguese discovered Australia are
positive the documents existed in Portugal until destroyed by the great
earthquake there. Fires (some deliberate) and floods ha destroyed a lot of
the records I wanted to view in India/Bangladesh.

At 10:00 AM 25/11/2004 +0000, you wrote:
> Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:07:17 +0100
> From: jesniel@...
>Subject: RE: AW: Vennbahn enclaves
>
>Have anybody in this group ever found minutes of negotations of border
>treaties?
>
>I have tried with the DEDK 1920 border, but have only found archives of
>letters to and from the DK commission. Nobody else knowns of any other
>records.
>
>The archives of the plebiscite got lost in WW2.
>
>Jesper

Dr Brendan Whyte
Assistant Map Curator
ERC Library