Subject: Re: German Exclave in the Vatican
Date: Nov 14, 2004 @ 17:26
Author: max23568 ("max23568" <23568@...>)

Hi,
just to update the links:

the Teutonic Order Link is still working,

the article of the Ohlsdorf Cemetary about Campo Santo Teutonico now
can be found at http://tinyurl.com/4xt5x

the multitasking austrian ambassador now can be found at
http://tinyurl.com/5js99

Regards, Chris

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Anton Florian Zeilinger"
<anton_zeilinger@h...> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> a few years ago I visited the Camposanto Teutonico and attended mass
there.
> Everything there is "German", i.e. signs, missals, etc.
> It is however not the seat of the German ambassador to the Holy See,
but
> belongs to some kind of German foundation, whose head interestingly
enough
> is the Austrian president. As far as I remember it is cared for by
the
> Teutonic Order, one of the last chivalric orders of the Catholic
Church,
> similar to the Order of Malta.
>
> Its seat is in Vienna, they have a homepage, see
>
> http://www.dtorden.or.at/
>
> I found an article in German about the cemetary, where it says that
since
> the Lateran treaty, the status of this small piece of land is
> "extraterritorial", "not part of the Vatican" and "similar to an
embassy".
> Apparently, during the second world war Jews and enemies of the
Mussolini
> regime were able to stay there unharmed due to this special status.
>
> The page I found has several interesting articles about other
"national"
> cemetaries in foreign countries, see:
>
> http://www.ohlsdorf-online.de/ohl-72/ohl-72.html#campo
>
> By the way, some countries have special ambassadors accredited to
the Holy
> See, separate from the regular embassy to Italy. An example is
Austria,
> where the ambassador is accredited to the Holy See, the Order of
Malta and
> San Marino, see:

http://www.bmaa.gv.at/botschaften/mission-info/bma
aMission.cgi?mode=oeinausland&command=content&country=Heiliger

> Stuhl
>
> Hope I could help,
> greetings,
> Anton Z
>

> >From: "lnadybal" <lnadybal@h...>
> >To: BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com
> >Subject: [BoundaryPoint] German Exclave in the Vatican
> >Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:24:02 -0000
> >
> >I just posted a photo from a 1972 article I've saved for years that
> >pictures the Camp Santo Teutonico which is surrounded by the
building
> >that houses the Teutonic College, just to the west of St. Peters.
> >I've tried for years to learn how this came to be and to learn what
> >German official administers it.
> >
> >Does anyone have any insight?
> >
> >Is the whole building that surrounds the cemetary
extraterritorial, or

http://mobile.msn.com