Subject: Re: AW: [BoundaryPoint] The easternmost point in Europe
Date: Nov 12, 2004 @ 21:27
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <knm@...>)

Wolfgang,

>1) Geographically? Ural, Caucasus, Bosporus? And what in-between? Is
>Chechnia still Europe? Kalmykia?

I thought Europe was relatively well-defined geographically. The problem is
that political boundaries cross the geographical ones.

>6) Via soccer? Azerbaijan plays in the European championships - is it Europe?

So do Israel and Turkey which are very obviously not part of the
geographical entity. They are included for political and travel convenience.

>Why does the coming EU constitution doesn't say where we begin and where
>we end?

Why does it need to, and why would it be a problem to invite non-European
nations? Where would the US be today if it had restricted its membership to
territory east of the Appalachians, or even to Continental North America?

>As it appears today we leave the question open and invite every nation to
>join - the beginning of the end.

Why the need to divide the world into continents?

Regards,

Kevin Meynell