Subject: AW: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Freistaat Flaschenhals
Date: Nov 09, 2004 @ 08:37
Author: Wolfgang Schaub ("Wolfgang Schaub" <Wolfgang.Schaub@...>)

Thanks to Joost! A bit more clarity now. So the Flaschenhals was really a bottleneck and not entirely occluded. Still I will find out in March next year how the traffic connections were to mainland Germany.

The area right of the Rhine was supposed to be de-militarized, the areas within the orbits, however , were occupied by French and American armies, respectively. And, as my information goes, the French also took the Flaschenhals  on 25th May 1923, along with the Ruhr district, and so put an end to the fiction of a "free" state.

Elsewhere, new "republics" popped up, founded by people who seeked co-operation with the French rather than confrontation. Sometimes also propagated by sinister people. Too much for this one to go into details, but when I remember our history lessons at school, we had to learn all about these unsuccessful attempts to establish a German-French understanding. "Separatisten-Republiken" they were called. Unfortunately for all, we had to suffer another world war, before we became civilized.

Wolfgang