Subject: Re: In between tri and quadri
Date: Nov 06, 2004 @ 08:52
Author: kahbeh2000 ("kahbeh2000" <kahbeh@...>)

hello,

thanks for the informative information. I have been to the
Vaalserberg quite a few times alone and with (border-)friends, and I
have taken quite a number of photos.

However I have one little correction: the Vaalserberg is NOT the
highest point of the Netherlands!

The 'Mount Scenery' on the Dutch Caribean island of 'Saba, N.A.'
truly is the highest point of The Netherlands: 887m.

The Vaalserberg just has 322,5m.

The story about New-Moresnet is supported by the fact that the road
leading to the top is called 'Viergrenzenweg'. (four border road)

Best regards
Bernd Kueck

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfgang Schaub"
<Wolfgang.Schaub@c...> wrote:
> Has anybody of you cast an eye on the Vaalserberg already?
Netherland's
> highest mountain and - today - a tripoint: BEDENL.
>
> Historically, it started as something between a simple borderline
and a
> tripoint, and this was in 1816, when the hybrid state of Neutral-
Moresnet
> was founded. So we had NL/Prussia/Neutra-Moresnet then on top of
the
> Vaalserberg.
>
> Neutral-Moresnet was co-governed by Prussia and the Netherlands.
So actually
> we can take this hybrid only half seriously. Which means, our
tripoint was
> in fact perhaps only a 2 1/2-point.
>
> 1830 Belgium was created. Our tripont (or 2 1/2 if you will)
promoted to a
> quadripont (or 3 1/2 ?). Neutral-Moresnet was then co-governed by
Belgium
> and Prussia.
>
> 1870 we see Prussia disappear in the German Reich. So our
quadripoint was
> then BE/DE/NL/Neutral-Moresnet, but did not change its "value".
>
> 1914 Neutral-Moresnet was annexed to the Reich, but this - due to
the war -
> was never acknowledged by anybody. Our almost-quadripoint
degenerated to a