Subject: Re: BM Ridge
Date: Oct 13, 2004 @ 20:59
Author: nj55er ("nj55er" <spookymike@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak" <aletheiak@y...>
wrote:

<<but is that the true van point
> yikes
> it must be
>
> by gps
> or how did you know>>>

Mike, I was only looking for the county highpoint, which was pretty
easy to determine on the ground by eyeball as some boulders very near
the benchmark. I confess, somewhat sheepishly, that I never thought
about VAN or the multi-county nature of the point, until I read your
message. Serious case of tunnel vision for one who was already
interested in boundaries and multi-points long before 11/2000.
Anyway, I had no GPS at the time, so all I can testify to is that BM
Ridge exists and can be found with a little luck.

---------------------
> > Morgan County High Point Trip Report
> > Date: November 6, 2000
> > Author: Mike Schwartz
> > Take US 522 about four miles north of the state line, and turn
left
> into the
> > well marked Cacapon State Park. Zero the odometer. Once in the
> park, bear left
> > twice, following signs to Cacapon Mountain Overlook. At 0.9
miles,
> bear left
> > at sign for the Overlook, pass through a gate just uphill, and
> drive a decent
> > gravel road to the crest. After 4 1/2 miles, the road approaches
> the two
> > microwave towers shown on the topo, and curves around to the
right,
> heading north.
> > About 0.2 to 0.3 miles north, look for BM Ridge on the crest just
> to the left
> > of the road. It's on a clump of white boulders, marked by a cairn
> clearly
> > visible from the road at this time of the year.
>
> ahhh really
>
> never saw it
>
> or could i have seen it & discounted it
>
> not likely
>
> but is that the true van point
> yikes
> it must be
>
> by gps
> or how did you know
>
> based on the odometer data
> my search must have overshot it by 175 feet or less
>
> you were in my mind mike
> but i really wish you really had been there
>

> In foliage season, a little
> > exploring might be required to find the cairn. All the ground to
> the north is lower,
> > so BM Ridge (actually the boulders nearby) mark the county high
> point.
> > Drive another 0.3 miles north to an overlook on the right, with
> lovely views
> > to the east. Ho-hum, another drive-up. Not exactly. The gate at
1.0
> miles was
> > locked and signed "closed for the season, mountain overlook 4.5
> miles." At 45
> > minutes before sunset, too long a hike. I drove to Park
> Headquarters, and
> > literally begged the amused rangers for the gate key and
permission
> to drive to
> > the summit. Desperation worked, and they sent me over to the
lodge,
> that looked
> > like a great place to stay, to sign out the key. Only provisos
were
> to lock
> > the gate behind me and be careful. The gate is closed from
October