Subject: Re: Enclaves in Ferghana Valley
Date: Sep 27, 2004 @ 10:07
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

I really don't know. Rolf, what are your sources for these names?

Chon-Kara (as it is spelled on the map - see Chris's message) is
indeed the same enclave as what you call Qalacha, but the
identification of Tashdobo as Khalmion is more problematic. It is
just a guess on my part.

Khalmion is a village in Kirgizia, just to the west of the enclave.
To the east, there is a village called Dzhany-Ayil. There is no named
feature in the enclave itself.

Chon-Kara is both the name of the enclave and of a Kirgiz village
nearby.

Peter

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Rolf Palmberg <rpalmber@a...>
wrote:
> I once found the names Qalacha and Khalmion for the tiny
territories
> located north of Sokh and north-west of Shakhimardan respectively.
Are
> these wrong or could there be alternative languages for them?
> Rolf
>
> At 09:01 27.9.2004 +0000, you wrote:
> >Chonkara (or Chongara) is the enclave in between Sokh and the Uzbek
> >mainland. Tashdobo I don't know, but it could be the one close to
the
> >border, NNW of Shakhimardan.
> >
> >Peter
> >
> >--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Christian Berghänel
> ><christian.berghanel@s...> wrote:
> > > Here's a story about mainly the Shakhimardan region (incl
rumours
> >that the territory was lost by
> > > a Kyrgyz official in a card game with an Uzbek colleague!). The
> >story also mentions Sokh, Barak, Chonkara and Tashdobo
> > > enclaves. I can't remember I've ever heard of the last two.
Anyone
> >who knows more about these?
> > >
> > > Best wishes,
> > > Christian Berghänel